What are Landlords responsibility for gas safety?

  • As a landlord, you are legally responsible for the safety of your tenants in relation to gas safety.
  • By law you must repair and maintain gas pipework, flues and appliances (boiler, gas fireplace, cooker or hob) in safe condition
  • Ensure an annual gas safety check is carried out within 12 months of the installation of a new appliance or flue which you provide and annually thereafter by a Gas Safe Registered engineer.
  • You must keep a record of the safety check (annual landlord gas safety certificate) for 2 years and issue a copy to each existing tenant within 28 days of the check being completed and issue a copy to any new tenants before they move in.
  • Under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) (Amendment) Regulations 2018 you can have the annual gas safety check on each appliance or flue carried out up to 2 months before the date the check needs to be carried out but still retain the original deadline date as if the check had been carried out exactly 12 months after the previous check.

How much will a landlords gas safety certificate cost?

From £35 to £120. Please bare in mind if you choose the cheapest quote you probably get poor service, you will get the same gas safety certificate paper, but gas safety checks might not been done properly and a thorough gas safety check could save you money if falult identify before your boiler breaks down.

Is annual boiler servicing needed?

Boilers should be maintained in accordance with the manufacturer’s user instructions and serviced annually, by a competent Gas Safe registered engineer. Proof of servicing may be required to validate your boilers manufacturers guarantee.
A good boiler service should include:
A visual check of the boiler and flame, if possible Checks on the flue (externally and internally)
Checking the operating pressure and / or heat input
Checking safety devices
Check case seals form an effective seal
Boiler casing removed to check all main boiler components (burner, heat exchanger, main injector, spark / sensor probe)
Boiler fired safely to identify any working faults
Boiler parts cleaned, if necessary


How can I check whether an engineer is qualified to undertake a gas safety check in my property?

All gas engineers must be registered with Gas Safe. You can verify the ID cards, which contains the business gas safe register number and the engineer ID registration number. You can verifify these details online on www.gassaferegister.co.uk or by phone 0800 408 5500 or send and email to enquiries@gassaferegister.co.uk 


Can I keep the Landlords gas safety record electronically?

Yes. So long as the electronic copy is capable of being reproduced in hard copy format when required secure from loss and interference.
Uniquely identifies the gas operative who carried out the safety check e.g. an electronic signature and the name of the gas engineer.
A landlord or gas engineer, with the landlord's agreement, may send or give a copy of the electronic record directly to the tenant, providing the tenant is happy with this arrangement and has the ability to access it.